Monday, March 28, 2011

Session 10

1/2) Who do you think is poor, both in the United States and globally?Why do you believe people are poor in the United States and globally?
Pertaining to health care, almost everyone I know can be poor when it comes to the asinine amounts of money that we need to spend in this country to be covered. I have had some mind boggling experiences with doctors and the health care industry, the biggest being a check up of STDs and AIDs. I was always taught in school that it was something that should be taken seriously and I have prided myself on staying committed to regularly. Planned Parenthood was very involved in my neighborhood growing up so I got my tests done there for free. When I had insurance as an adult, they covered $70 of the $980 worth of lab work. That didn't include the $350 office visit for 15 minutes of work. I was completely taken back by that. I knew that it was no wonder why so many people didn't choose to have this kind of testing done. It's a ridiculous amount of money for something that should be easily accessible to all. Another thing that has had me at my wits end with the insurance industry is...through my job, I get paid benefits daily for my retirement and insurance. It goes into a separate account that I cannot touch. The insurance coverage for my son and I is over 2 thousand dollars every 3 months. If I don't have enough in my benefits fund I have to come out of pocket for it. Needless to say, it is almost impossible to keep up with. I can't get assistance because I technically make too much, but when you take out my taxes, and then my insurance costs...trust me, there is barely anything left over. I strongly believe that many people fall below the poverty line trying to keep up with insurance premiums that are on the rise. I also believe that there are many who will never get out from below that line due to past due medical bills that have buried them.

3/4) What do you think is being done about poverty (e.g., specific policies and programs in the United States and globally) and how well do you think poverty is being addressed?What do you personally think should be done about poverty in United States and globally (e.g., specific private and government policies, programs, etc. that you would recommend)?

I do think that the association between poverty and health care has been addressed in our country. However, I do not think that it is a top priority. Which is disappointing. So many times have I seen first hand people avoid seeking health care, or prolonging it, that in some cases its almost deadly. Health care is something that should be affordable to all of us. It is something that I don't think should be free, but it shouldn't cost more a year than someones mortgage. There has to be a way that fees can be reduced (doctors, lab, etc.) so that coverage can be extended to everyone. There are many places that are out there attempting to help those who need medical attention. I know that there is now minute clinics at local drug stores who offer low cost simple medical diagnoses. There are also many stores offering generic prescription plans starting at $3 for qualifying prescriptions. I don't know if our government and the people will ever be able to agree on a health plan for this country. But we have to look at the statistics- there is no way that the United States, with it's advanced knowledge and access, should be that far down the list for infant mortality and life expectancy; ESPECIALLY when we have the highest premiums. That math equation doesn't make sense. I will continue to struggle to stay above the poverty line unless there are some restrictions placed on these big market insurance companies. I only hope that they start to see these billion dollar industries are leeching off of the struggling in our nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment